4.16.2013

bear sighting

For those of you who have asked after Bear, here he is. He gave me an arrowhead he made and the first of his iris. That's his family's house behind him. He's lived there alone for years, but it's the subject of sibling disagreement and he won't fix it up. I can't imagine what it looks like inside, though I know he has no running water and a microwave. No tv. What he calls a raddio, sort of rhyming with patio, which he also does not have.  He does have four "rides" though.
   "Ride" is a modern locution, but Bear still speaks an old-fashioned Ozark dialect ("ideal" for idea). It is distinctive, as you can see in this map of American dialects. If you would like to test yourself to see where your speech indicates you are from, you can take this quiz.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this answers one question that has been asked for generations. What does Bear do in the woods?

c "le b" a said...

Love to Bear! Tell him I think his stable of cars is very cool.

I took the test. I'm 100% from Philadelphia, the northeast.

It also said if people can't place my accent, they think "it's a little weird."

Actually, many people who can't place me think I'm European. France, usually.

Bonsoui, Mes Amis. Ou sont les baguettes?

Claudia said...

@Anon: He absolutely does. Thinks it is more hygienic than his outhouse.

@CBA What they told me: "Judging by how you talk you are probably from North Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island." Two out of four ain't bad!

Brody said...

Yacht Charter Dubai We passed by Jumeirah Palm, with the amazing Atlantis Hotel. While all of those other visitors seem to be on the beach, we took satisfaction from the comfort in own yacht rental yacht.